Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Milk

I absolutely loved Sean Penn's portrayal of Harvey Milk. His range of acting is incredible...from Dead Man Walking to I Am Sam and Mystic River...to Harvey. He is my choice for Best Actor of 2008. The film was powerful in all the ways that have already been documented and that you can imagine, but I cannot give it my best recommendation. The gay rights movement in San Francisco in the 1970's was my own coming-of-age story. So to see these times portrayed as a male-only movement was disappointing. The film does pay special attention to Harvey hiring 22-year-old Anne Kronenberg as his campaign manager, and here is her famous line from the film:
"My girlfriends say you guys don't like women. Just asking, is there a place for us in all of this, or are you scared of girls?" She is the only woman in the film, and aside from her wearing a leather jacket, it's hard to tell that she is a lesbian. You never see her on the screen with another woman. You never see women in any of the street demonstrations, or marches...nor do we appear in the 'phone tree' scene...and believe me, I was there, as were all my gal pals...out in front, in the middle and holding up the rear. I know this is a drama, but it is hard to not see it as a documentary. If you want to see that, go to: Hulu - The Times Of Harvey Milk - Watch the full feature film now.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home